09 10

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Wednesday Favorite - What's on the Menu

Today I'm going to talk about something which very mom would love to hear - Making food for picky eater.  Yesterday when I went to pick up my son from preschool I was speaking to his teacher.  She expressed her jealousy how I manage to arrange his snacks in different way or form(smiley,sun,robot,fish) She said Aryan loves to explain about the cute things to her whatever I send across in the Snack box.  The idea behind this is to be little creative, so kids can have fun while eating their food.  As you all know in this modern world there is lot of unhealthy option easily accessible.  Lets learn to cope with the picky eaters

Creative: I love the Bento box it is so much fun and exciting.  Although I don't own one (I really don't know where I get bento box in India) I bought Snack box with three trays so i have place to arrange stuff in cute way.  Believe me, the effort you put in will payoff. I learn it from my experience.



Deceptive: Other thing I do is hiding things example Aryan doesn't like egg but he loves noodles.  I make omelette for him made out egg, spinach and noodle masala.  And he love eating it. It is easy way to hide healthy food inside other food which kids like.

Associate: First thing I ask him before I prepare something, Aryan I going to make cutlet will you help me? He is all happy to play around to get my kitchen messy. He try cutting onion, play with dough, wash the vegetable, roll the vessel around the kitchen. Kids love what they make. Encourage your kids to get involved in your experience or in the event.

What's on the Menu

Bean vada/cutlet:

This is the shiny brown bean or you called it Swedish brown bean which is healthy and rich in protein.  I made vada/cutlet out this beans.

Ingredients:
Bean - 1 cup,
Green chilly [minced] : 2 nos (option- chilly powder or crush pepper) ,
Ginger [minced] : 1 piece,
Onion small [sliced] :1 nos,
Curry leaves [chopped],
Coriander leaves [chopped]
Salt [required],
Oil to fry



Recipe:
  • Wash and soak brown bean separately for four hours.
  • Drain the bean in a colander ensure no water left in bean. 
  • Grind the bean in food processor, it should be ground into a course mixture.
  • Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well
  • Heat oil in a deep pan. Make shape you like and fry.
  • When they are deep brown remove from oil and drain on a tissue paper.
  • Serve hot with chutney and tea.



Isn't it yummy???

3 comments:

  1. I grew up with vada but with yellow dhall ( yellow peas ) I miss that a ton,..this looks good too...yum ! yum !

    Do you know if I can get curry leaf online..none here in states..

    ReplyDelete
  2. u bet! creativity to manage kids w/o them realizing is an art; one that will evolve as kids grow :) so lkg fwd to know more such tricks deployed ;)

    the dish luks yummy... u just nd to think 'out of the box' to make things 'for the box' :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first tried vada when I went to college. My roommates parents were from Kerala and made the most amazing food for us. I have been hooked ever since. The problem with making vada is that it's the type of thing your mom probably teaches you from the time you're young. I once tried to make vada at home from a box mix that I got at the Indian grocery, but it turned out terribly! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I think I realistically have a chance of making good vada now. Following your tutorial is the best option, since I don't have an Indian mom at home. Just saying hi from Inspired by You Wednesdays. -Lola at Buddhatropolis.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by,I read and appreciate all feedback.