09 10

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Amla Thokku / Gooseberry Pickle

This summer is super hot.  During summer I just fill my stomach with buttermilk.  Rice, curd and pickle is one common and divine food for summer.  I'm not a pickle person.  It just happened that last week I bought some Amla because my son loves to eat it raw.  Few Amlas were left out and I asked my friend Sripriya for pickle recipe (She is a great cook; people out there hop into her kitchen Sri's Kitchen to find interesting recipes). Today I tried amla thokku and it turned out yummy.



Ingredients

Amla/ Gooseberry - 5 -6 nos
Gingelly oil - 2 tablespoons
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Roasted fenugreek powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Asafoetida - a big pinch
Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Red chilli powder - 2 tablespoons
Salt to taste





  • Grate the Gooseberry/Amla, discard the seed
  • Heat the oil and when it is hot add mustard
  • Add asafoetida, tumeric, red chilli powder,salt and followed by grated amla.(Keep the flame in sim, do not burn the masala) 
  • Finally add roasted fenugreek powder and continue to cook till the raw smell goes. 
  • Cool and store in air tight container.


Ready to serve with rice and curd.. 



What did you make today? 

1 comment:

  1. Cool, am coming to taste :) Save some :)

    tx dear for sharing my blog...now let me keep adding to it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by,I read and appreciate all feedback.